Master in Physical Education Teaching in Basic and Secondary Schools
Years: 2 Semesters: 4 ECTS credits: 120
The course aims to scientific and professionally qualify the students to perform all the activities related to the professional role of a Physical Education teacher in basic and secondary schools. It aims to combine the action, training, and research processes to ensure the development of knowledge and skills characterizing the "professional-teacher" – i.e., a teacher able to adapt to the diversity of educational situations he/she has to face, basing the quality of his/her intervention in his/her know-how: analyzing, reflecting, and justifying. The overall objectives are defined on a close articulation with the skills of professional performance listed in the "Teacher’s General Skills Profiler", established in Decree-Law no. 240/2001, of August, 17, and here structured into four major areas of professional intervention, namely: Teaching and Learning Organization and Management; Innovation and Pedagogical Research; Participation in School; and Relationship with the Community.
This course is intended for graduates in the area of physical education and sport science, whose courses curriculum meet the provisions of paragraph 3 of Article 18 of Decree-Law no. 79/2014, of May, 14, namely integrating 120 ECTS in the subject area of physical education and sport.
Maria João Figueira Martins, Ph.D
Main scientific area of the course - Teacher Education. The course is mainly organized in the scientific area of Pedagogy and Intervention Methodologies in Motor Activities - 114 ECTS. The remaining 6 ECTS can be obtained by attending elective course units in the remaining scientific areas.
According to Article 15 of Decree-Law no. 79/2014, of May, 14, the courses are organized with the following distribution of ECTS:
- Introduction to Professional Practice - 48 ECTS
- Specific Didactics - 30 ECTS
- General Educational Area - 18 ECTS
- Teaching area - 24 ECTS
Please click here.
- Numerus clausus: 87
- Number of vacancies allocated for applicants graduated in the special period of examinations to complete the undergraduate course: 4
- Number of vacancies allocated for the attendance of isolated course units: 6 (2 for class) for any course unit, except for Pedagogical Internshipo
Selection Jury: António José Mendes Rodrigues, Ph.D. (President), António Fernando Boleto Rosado, Full Professor, and Maria João Figueira Martins, Ph.D. (members).
Accreditation Jury: Marcos Teixeira de Abreu Soares Onofre, Ph.D. (President), Maria João Figueira Martins, Ph.D., and Pedro Jorge Parrot Morato, Ph.D. (members).
Specific admission requirements | Ranking Criteria
a) Command of oral and written of Portuguese; command of the essential rules for logic and critical reasoning. This condition will be certified by a written test, in which the candidate must be approved (suitable/unsuitable). The test is mandatory, regardless the candidate’s previous education or his/her occupational status.Applicants who have already made this test in previous years in a Higher Education institution must provide the corresponding approval Certificate, issued by the institution where the test was held. The test will last for 120 minutes, with 30 minutes time allowance, and will be held in two different calls:
c) Quality of the 1st cycle origin course according to the provisions of paragraphs 3 and 4 of Article 18 of Decree-Law no. 79/2014, of May, 14, which will be scored as follows:
- 4/5 – Pre-Bologna PE Degree University Courses;
- 3/4 – Bologna Sport Sciences or PE Degree University Courses, with the guarantee of 120 ECTS in PE and SS;
- 2/3 –Pre-Bologna PE Degree Polytechnic Courses;
- 1/2 – PE Degree Polytechnic Courses, with the guarantee of 120 ECTS in PE and SS;
- 0/1 – Other courses.
d) Overall result of the Undergraduate Course (10 to 20 points)/2
e) Professional experience in physical education training and teaching, and school sport, scored as follows:
- 4/5 – In-service training, teaching experience, school management positions (school management bodies, and intermediate management), School Sport coordination and group/team leader, Pedagogical Supervision experience, and responsibility as Academic and Professional Trainer;
- 3/4 – In-service training, teaching experience, school management positions (school management bodies and intermediate management);
- 2/3 – In-service training, teaching experience, School Sport group/team manager;
- 1/2 - No in-service training with teaching experience;
- 0/1 - No teaching experience.
f) Scientific experience in training, and PE teaching and school sport area:
- 4/5 - Scientific Education at Master level with papers and communications in the specialization area of Education and School Sport;
- 3/4 - Scientific Education at Postgraduate level with papers and/or communications in the specialization area of PE and School Sport;
- 2/3 - Scientific Education at Postgraduate level, or courses accredited by the CCPFP;
- 1/2 - Scientific Education at other short courses level;
- 0/1 - No scientific Education.
g) The result of the interview, when required by the selection jury.
The final overall grade results from the sum of the scores awarded from c) to f), for a maximum of 25 points.
Annual Tuition Feel (2015/2016): 1063,47€